Timeline: 3 weeks
Deliverables: Domain Research, Heuristic Evaluation, User Interviews, Persona Development, User Journey Map, Information Architecture, User Testing, Wireframes, Interactive Prototype, Client Presentation
The Greyhounds Track and Field Club began in Vancouver, BC in 1999 with 15 members. Now in 2017, they are nearing 90 members. With 320 Provincial Records and 118 World & National Records, currently. What makes this track and field club different is that they are masters (35+)/seniors (55+) only team.
The reason why the Greyhounds came to us, is for a website redesign because their website was from early 2000… and needed a facelift but also to help them accomplish these goals.
Photo: Current Greyhounds T&F website
Our client provided us with their google analytics for the current site. To our surprise, the site got 55 000 unique views per year. Using the analytics we found that most people come to the site to check on the results of the latest track meets.
Our team had a good start on the project thanks to the data. But we needed more information so a few tools we used are: Interviewing Users, Competitive and Comparative Analysis (comparing similar sites), User Centered Design Canvas (validates our research).
Photo: Tools used during research phase
We interviewed current club members and coaches of the greyhounds. Why?
We asked these types of questions in 10 of our interviews and the data we got from them was put onto an affinity diagram.
Photo: Grouping information gathered from interviews
The key takeaways from the interviews were:
Competitive Comparative Analysis.
C.C. analysis lets our team compare and learn from other similar sites that accomplish a similar goal. From the interviews we learned our current user's most visited websites:
Masterstrack.com was the most popular website that all 10 of interviewees have visited. When I saw the site for myself, I was thinking I had the wrong URL. A website that looked like this and had thousands of visitors a week, shocked me. But I had to put my thoughts aside and ask what is this site doing right?
Photo: Most popular website among our users
I asked the users why they visit this site and the reason was the latest news in the track community is a scroll away. They didn’t have to click anywhere. The website, not looking great did accomplish the user's goal, which is to deliver the news.
What our team learned from this is don’t create something that would be a brand new layout to the user. Keep it simple, our users don’t enjoy using technology, and see it as a challenge.
User Centered Design Canvas.
The design canvas validated our team's research, understand the mindset of our users, and where they are coming from.
Photo: A user centered design canvas to help the team understand the users and the greyhounds t&f club
Takeaways from the design canvas:
After doing the design canvas and understanding what problems, fears our users would have. My team decided it was time start planning on how to help our users.
In the planning stage, our team would create fictional users that would be using the Greyhounds website. This would allow us to empathize with them to see how they would want to use the website.
The first fictional user we created was Harry Hurdle, who was interested in joining the club. This also aligns with the business goal of the project, “attracting new members”. The storyboard represents the thought process and path that Harry would take into joining the Greyhounds club.
Photo: Storyboard of a user signing up with the team up until he reaches his goal
Design & Testing.
Before we started putting pencil to paper we defined our user.
Also with the design, we wanted to communicate that the Greyhounds are competitive but are also a community driven team, which was the insight we got from the interviews.
Photo: A breakdown of the homepage of the site
An issue that came up was the copy we used for the nav bar. 7/10 people had trouble finding a meet to sign up for, and also how they could sponsor/donate to the club.
Photo: Left old navigation before testing | Left new navigation after testing
After this project was done and delivered there are a few takeaways for myself